[oe] packaged-staging

Aeschbacher, Fabrice Fabrice.Aeschbacher at siemens.com
Thu Nov 4 11:32:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am trying to use packaged staging, following the description found here:
http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2008/07/01/packaged-staging-and-what-it-gives/
http://blog.denix.org/2008/09/getting-dangerous-with-packaged-staging.html

I set:

DEPLOY_DIR_PSTAGE = "${OEBASE}/pstage"

, and then:

$ bitbake base-image
$ rm -rf ${TMPDIR}
$ bitbake base-image

During build I noticed a lot of messages like:
NOTE: Staging package found, using it for <...>/org.openembedded/recipes/gettext/gettext-native_0.17.bb

But finally the last step fails:

ERROR: function do_rootfs failed

|  * ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for task-boot:
| 	 *  kernel *  base-files *  base-passwd *  busybox *  modutils-initscripts *  netbase *  update-alternatives *
|  * Cannot find package task-boot.
|  * Cannot find package util-linux-mount.
|  * Cannot find package util-linux-umount.
|  * Cannot find package dropbear.
|  * Cannot find package angstrom-version.
|  * Cannot find package hotplug-ng.
|  * Cannot find package libgcc1.
|  * Cannot find package libstdc++6.
|  * Cannot find package initscripts.
|  * Cannot find package sysvinit.
|  * Cannot find package sysvinit-pidof.
|  * Cannot find package tinylogin.
|  * Cannot find package opkg-nogpg.
|  * Cannot find package angstrom-version.
|  * Cannot find package angstrom-feed-configs.
|  * Cannot find package opkg-collateral.
NOTE: Task failed: /home/projects/oe-stable-2009/build/taurus/work/taurus-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/base-image-1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.10147

Some remarks:
- It does not help trying to bitbake the indicated missing packages
  but for each package, I need to:
     bitbake <package> -f -c package_write
- After a first build, cross-compiler is installer in ${TEMPDIR}/cross/armv5te/bin
  (which is added to the $PATH for oe_runmake)
  But after a packaged-staging build, this directory does not exist;
  the cross-compiler is actually installed in ${TEMPDIR}/cross/bin
  => every do_compile fails
  to circumvent this, I had to :
     cd ${TEMPDIR}/cross
     mkdir armv5te
     ln -s ../bin armv5te

I saw Frans Meulenbroeks already had the same issue:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org/msg03314.html

Did someone find a solution?

With kind regards,
   Fabrice Aeschbacher