[oe] dangling symlinks

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Nov 4 16:52:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks <
fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wrt messages like this in do_package:
> NOTE: sysvinit-utils contains dangling symlink to /usr/bin/last
> NOTE: sysvinit contains dangling symlink to /sbin/halt
> NOTE: sysvinit contains dangling symlink to /sbin/init
> NOTE: sysvinit contains dangling symlink to /sbin/halt
>
> I know that the link will (most likely) be resolved when installing the
> package.
>
> I would expect do_package to detect if the symlink src actually exists
> and if so it could be silent.
> But if the link is not there, I guess I would raise this to at least a
> WARN and maybe even to an ERROR.
>
> No idea how to fix this though.

I would guess that these are caused by symlinks to binaries which were
renamed for use with update-alternatives.  I think the best approach is to
change it so all use of update-alternatives is controlled via metadata,
rather than manually adding postinst/prerm snippets to do it, then the
do_package check could utilize that information as well.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com