[oe] OpenEmbedded Release 2010.12 --- needs your help!

Eric Bénard eric at eukrea.com
Fri Nov 5 09:22:38 UTC 2010

Le 05/11/2010 07:52, Martin Jansa a écrit :
> what about branching future release those 2-3 weeks ago and keep master for
> active development?

Stabilizing the master branch is active development as this allows to have
stronger fundation for the next features you can introduce 2 or 3 weeks after
the stabilization weeks starts.

> I know it could lower number of people using this future release branch
> during testing period before release, but still seems better then pushing 3
> weeks of commits from my local branch as soon as release is branched and
> master open for new recipes again.

That's the way linux, u-boot & co are running and when the new merge window
opens several thousand of patches can be merged in a few days.

If we don't do that, the idea of stable release which implies detecting and
fixing potential failures introduced by previous big changes will fail.

Eric