[oe] OpenEmbedded and the Yocto Project

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 5 16:36:45 UTC 2010

Am Freitag, den 05.11.2010, 16:07 +0000 schrieb Richard Purdie:
> I've talked to various people and I think the point has come to write
> down my thoughts rather than repeat conversations with various people.
> Sorry if this ends up as a long email.

Thank you for writing this. I am aware that this probably took you quite
some time.

> I'm on record in the past for commenting on the number of build system
> presentations at ELC-E in 2009. The embedded community has several of
> them, all with advantages and disadvantages, I look at this and wonder
> why we couldn't have one good one. You also wonder why there is no focus
> point fostering embedded Linux tools in general, everyone loves to go
> off and do their own thing as its easier than working together.
>
> It was based on these observations and a desire to improve the
> situation, I proposed the idea of what has become the Yocto project.

[…]

> This project is not in competition to OpenEmbedded, its a compliment to
> it. Its a serious opportunity to leverage some corporate sponsorship and
> see OpenEmbedded, the Yocto project and also Embedded Linux all grow.

[…]

> Hopefully this email explains some of the reasons the project exists,
> what the differences are to OE and that is isn't something bad but
> actually a very positive thing. I have not dived into the topic of
> if/how Poky and OE can work together, that can be the subject of another
> email. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them.

Actually this is in my opinion the most important question. In the
beginning you talk about the one good build system.

But in the end to get the one good build system, OpenEmbedded should
somehow be merged into or replaced by Poky(?) or be replaced, should not
it?

I have only some small experience with and used only OpenEmbedded. So I
do not know about Poky and the other build systems. But I agree with you
to try to avoid duplicate work.

So a message about your vision about the future of OE would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul