[oe] Moving to layered structure of openembedded metadata

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 18:27:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:34:48AM +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 21:00, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
>> >
>> > That is already being discussed and decided. See the following previous topics
>> > on the mailing list...
>>
>> To clear this up a bit. There can't be a real decision for now. Not all
>> developers have been present at the OEDEM and we haven't discussed  every detail
>> their either. :)
>>
>> Most, if not all, people liked the idea during the OEDEM discussions, but we
>> would need more input on problem that this may rise. As it stands I'm happy to
>> see Khem coming up to put this on the ml. :)
>>
>> One I currently see is how we can keep it all working when the layers are
>> maintained in different places and what kid of combinational explosion we will
>> have with layers in different places.
>
> That is exactly what I said - being discussed and (being) decided. I didn't
> say it was or has been already decided. "Being" is not the same as "been"! :)
> I.e. present continuous instead of past tense.
>
> And BTW, it may not be a simple decision after all - while technically Yocto
> seems quite a decent project and embracing it would be reasonable, many large
> companies are still having issues with it's governance model and past issues
> with Intel's other seemingly "open source" projects... The good news is that
> this side of the problem is now being actively looked at for any possible
> solutions, which would benefit all involved...

My proposal is to align OE and poky and in turn for benefit of community.
Yocto as I understand has a bigger scope and uses OE/poky for the
build system that it uses. Which in
general is also good for OE development. If we design the layers well it will be
very portable and componentized. How yocto itself operates is probably
is a separate thing
they may make some good moves which benefits OE and thats what we
should be interested in
and concerned about and I am sure that if we do something that is
beneficial then yocto using poky
build system will definitely like it too.