[oe] OpenEmbedded and the Yocto Project

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Sat Nov 6 17:44:53 UTC 2010

Hello.

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 13:26, Cliff Brake wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
>
> > So what do I mean by hard? First there are the conversations with your
> > legal department where some questions arise:
> >
> > * How do you ensure license compliance?
> > * When someone makes a change, how do you know the license is still
> >  correct?
> > * You've mixing GPLv2 and v3? How are you ensuring no contamination?
> > <cue a long discussion which I'd bet most companies have>
>
> Is GPLv3 the issue here with patent, DMC, and Tivoization issues?  Is
> the solution to simply not have GPLv3 software in a device?

At least that is what I hear most of the times. Yocto should be able to build a
GPLv3-free image. Obviously this kinda results in keeping old versions of core
elements of software maintained by the FSF.

> Are there other license issues that companies are worried about?

Well, we have Google who demostrated that they would rather write everything
from scratch, including a libc, instead of using the GPL. :)

But that is not a problem for OE. All other players have realized how to deal
with the GPL.

regards
Stefan Schmidt