[oe] multiple virtual/gail on reviving gtk+-directfb

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Nov 12 22:16:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Vasily Khoruzhick <anarsoul at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 12 November 2010 20:05:19 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> [hi please cc me direct because i am subscribed with nomail, thx]
>>
>> folks, hi,
>>
>> i have a requirement to bring gtk+-directfb up-to-date [and also do
>> python-pygtk-directfb, which is gonna be interesting on a 400mhz
>> ARM9... :) have to see how that goes...]
>
> Are you aware that gtk directfb backend is broken since 2.18.0?

 ah?  no.  bugger.  i'll drop back to 2.16 or so, then ( it doesn't
make any odds one way or the other which version is used ).

> And that gtk
> developers will drop it in gtk3?

yes.  this is an "emergency" interim solution, to get product
"out-the-door".  i've already recommended that they move to
qt4-embedded, but that can't happen immediately: i _have_ to get gtk +
directfb up-and-running, for the demo.  and webkit.  and python-cairo.
 and pywebkit-gtk with patches from
http://www.gnu.org/software/pythonwebkit.  and pyjamas desktop.  lots
of packaging to do, lots of new OE bitbake files :)

apparently, i've learned almost all of the embedded products in the
space that i'm doing the work for use directfb, so many of them use
gtk and directfb.  what they _don't_ ****** well do is actually pay
any free software developers any ****** money for making use of gtk
and directfb.  so, it didn't come as any particularly great surprise
to me to learn that directfb is being dropped for gtk3.

 which means, simply, that use of gtk will be entirely dropped from
the embedded market...  eventually :)

 ... so, yeah, right now, i need to get that conflict to disappear!

 l.