[oe] PREFERRED_PROVIDER issue/question

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:57:35 UTC 2010

2010/11/17 Andrea Adami <andrea.adami at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
> <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I am building mythtv-plugins for distro minimal I get:
>> NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime
>> module-init-tools-depmod (module-init-tools, module-init-tools-cross)
> ..
>
> I see the same note building Angstrom since some months.

Actually it depends which message your get.
I suspect that if you build mythtv for angstrom you'll also get the
libmysqlclient message.
You won't get it if you have no dep on libmysqlclient.
Similarly you won't get the module-init-tools-depmod warning if you
build a package that does not need it. (guess building helloworld
won't give it).

It would be nice to get this fixed before the release, but I have no
idea how to do so.

> Did not track yet the commit which originated that but seems a
> conflict wrt module-init-tools-cross_3.2.2.bb
> PROVIDES += "virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod-2.6"

Good find. I feel we should try to decide which of the two recipes
should provide this (module-init-tools or module-init-tools-cross)

Searched into it: that PROVIDES is there for > 1 yr.
See http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?id=59ae038eec20833a9d07c43ddd9f0109f8bc3a74
where it already was present

Can't find the other virtual though (virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod),
guess it is generated automagically.

BTW noticed what we have module-init-ttols and modutils. Is this desired?

frans at frans-desktop:~/workspace/openembedded/recipes$ grep depmod */*
| grep virtual
module-init-tools/module-init-tools-cross_3.2.2.bb:PROVIDES +=
"virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod-2.6"
modutils/modutils-cross_2.4.27.bb:PROVIDES +=
"virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}depmod-2.4"

> Besides that, I'm not sure I understand following RDEPENDS in
> module-init-tools.inc: runtime depending on a package created by
> itself?
>
> PACKAGES =+ "module-init-tools-insmod-static module-init-tools-depmod"
> RDEPENDS_${PN} += "module-init-tools-depmod"

I guess this says that if you install module-init-tools you also need
module-init-tools-depmod
(but that is just a guess)

Frans