[oe] Preparing for release - Freeze on master

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Nov 18 10:08:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 11:26 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> Should we create a release branch before we release and solidify that ?

Yes, please do that.  We discussed this issue at yesterday's TSC meeting
(full minutes to follow shortly) and the consensus was that trying to
enforce a complete freeze on master at short notice is not going to be
practical.

Obviously the exact process you use is up to you, but I would suggest
something along the lines of:

1. make a stabilisation branch from some semi-arbitrary point, maybe one
of the existing weekly test versions.

2. do testing on this branch.

3. cherry-pick and/or revert changesets on the branch as
necessary/desired.

4. iterate steps 2/3 until you are happy with the quality or the
deadline is reached.

5. tag the release from the current head of that branch.

p.