[oe] Preparing for release - Freeze on master

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Nov 18 17:18:46 UTC 2010

On 11/18/2010 03:31 AM, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 21:31 +1030, Graham Gower wrote:
>> So, why not just branch it already and apply the same commit policy as
>> the existing stable branch.
>
> Essentially because nobody has yet volunteered to do the ongoing
> maintenance work that would be involved in having a long-lived stable
> branch.  And, if OE is going to have releases off master on a fairly
> frequent schedule (I think the proposal is four releases per year or
> thereabouts) then the requirement for such a branch is somewhat
> diminished.
>
> If you're interested in doing the work to maintain a new stable branch
> along the same lines as stable/2009, and you can commit the time that is
> required to make it work, then you are certainly very welcome to do so.
> You don't need any particular permission to do this: you can (subject to
> the Branching Policy) create a new branch at any time.

I'd like to emphasize this point, the tag is a sane place for people to
start from. The OE project deliver meta-data for people to build
products on. It is the responsibility of the people delivering
images/packages to people to manage their own branches for maintenance.

We certainly encourage groups of people to collaborate with each other
to maintain branches, but I don't see a one policy suits all branch.

One man's stable is anothers stagnant.

Philip