[oe] release-2010.12 branch ready for testing

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Fri Nov 19 13:46:09 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 03:34 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> On 18-11-10 22:27, Khem Raj wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The work branch for upcoming 2010.12 release has been created.
>
> Why was this created? We were *very* clear at OEDEM that there would be
> no branch, only a tag.
>
> Why was this changed? I only see some vague handwaving from the TSC
> (well, from Phil, saying it was the TSC) who didn't consult the OE
> developers at all.
>
> The whole point of releases was that they are based of a tag from .dev,
> not some random branch. Again, why was that changed?

At least for making a release tag exist, if we can't have a freeze on
.dev (or otherwise an agreement that .dev should focus on making the
testing packages build and work, over new work) making a temporary
branch to cherry-pick into seems to be the next possible solution.
Otherwise the release tag is just another testing tag...

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation