[oe] release-2010.12 branch ready for testing

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 14:44:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 03:16:02PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Well, that was the whole point. The release is supposed to be only a
> testing tag...
>
> We were very clear at OEDEM, no *branch* only a tag. If .dev isn't
> working, find a testing tag in the past that does work and use that as a
> release.
>
> It seems people are trying to polarize issues, when they shouldn't. So
> no "freeze .dev", but "pay more attention to .dev" and no "release
> branch" but "encourage getting more green into tinderbox".
>
> The idea was to get a release out and see how people are using it to
> improve the process and test conditions, not making a kneejerk process
> for this release.
>
> I've seen no discussion on this list why we need a branch or a freeze
> instead of following the OEDEM plam, only people stating that we need
> it. So what's wrong with the original plan of getting the release out
> and using actual experience as feedback for future releases?

Hi,

I think that short-lived branch is better, because every testing branch
had few easy-to-fix issues which were fixed almost immediately in .dev
after testing branched and it would be hard to choose which branch was best.

But tag from any testing branch + first few quick fixes would be almost as
good as based on any other testing branch.

And I also agree with Phil that this short lived branch should be
removed when the tag is created (to show that it's final state without
maintainance).

Just my 2c.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com