[oe] release-2010.12 branch ready for testing

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 02:48:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 06:44 AM, Martin Jansa wrote:
>

>> I think that short-lived branch is better, because every testing branch
>> had few easy-to-fix issues which were fixed almost immediately in .dev
>> after testing branched and it would be hard to choose which branch was
>> best.
>>
>> But tag from any testing branch + first few quick fixes would be almost as
>> good as based on any other testing branch.
>>
>> And I also agree with Phil that this short lived branch should be
>> removed when the tag is created (to show that it's final state without
>> maintainance).
>
> I also think a *short lived* branch is a good route to try. I've been
> thinking about how the git history looks of a tag after you delete the
> branch leading up to it.
>
> For emphasis, the short lived branch will not be used to maintain the tag.

Yes this is exactly a short lived branch. The patches would come via
master mostly.

here are steps.

1. Tag master with branchpoint
2. Create branch
3. Cherry-pick fixes (usually commit to master first) -- (current state)
4. Tag the branch for release
5. Collapse branch to master
6. Delete release branch
7. Announce the release