[oe] Merging the release branch into master (was: Re: Revert commit c2c8fe4c5629add94bd0b922f5b3446624a9f4d8)

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Nov 22 16:39:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Andreas Oberritter <obi at opendreambox.org>wrote:

> On 11/21/2010 06:55 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
> > The release branch is being merged back to master after the release is
> > tagged, FYI.
>
> I've been thinking about it, but I'm not really sure what the point is
> in that if all fixes should already be in master before entering the
> release branch, except for maybe some release-branch specific stuff
> (which in turn must not exist, because it would get merged into master
> after release has been tagged)? You can't even put some release notes
> into the release branch?

Primarily for clean git logs.  By *marking* it merged, even though the merge
wouldn't actually make any changes to content, we ensure that git knows
there are no commits in the release tag that aren't also in master (git log
master..releasetag would show nothing, rather than every cherry pick).
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com