[oe] libXext-native fail to compile (x86_64)

Nicolas Ferre nicolas.ferre at atmel.com
Thu Nov 25 08:56:08 UTC 2010

Hi all,

While trying to build from scratch the latest .dev branch with:
- angstrom-2010.x distribution

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.10.0"
METADATA_BRANCH   = "dev_for2010.12"
METADATA_REVISION = "a1bba89"
TARGET_ARCH       = "arm"
TARGET_OS         = "linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE           = "at91sam9m10g45ek"
DISTRO            = "angstrom"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "next"
TARGET_FPU        = "soft"

I have the following error with libxext:
NOTE: package libxext-native-1_1.2.0-r9.0: task do_compile: Failed

After this:
| make[2]: Entering directory `/local/users/nferre/workspace/oe/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/libxext-native-1_1.2.0-r9.0/libXext-1.2.0/src'
|   CCLD   libXext.la
| /usr/bin/ld: .libs/extutil.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `xgeExtRegister' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
| /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make[2]: *** [libXext.la] Error 1

I attach the error message to let you know...

Here is my cpuinfo just for the record:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 67
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1222
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 3015.536
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 6033.55
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 67
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1222
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 3015.536
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 6027.07
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64