[oe] Preferred handling of pkg-config in cross compile environments.

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 10 17:05:09 UTC 2010

Dear OE folks,

I stumbled upon several programs who call plain `pkg-config` [1][2].

Is the following statement correct?

To be able to cross compile programs correctly, the build files are
supposed to use the environment variable `PKG_CONFIG` and only call
pkg-config directly if `PKG_CONFIG` is empty.

        if test -z "${PKG_CONFIG}"; then
            PKG_CONFIG="pkg-config"

If you agree I would note that somewhere in the Wiki, so that upstream
can be pointed to some documentation and search the Web will result in
some useful results.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gobject-introspection/tree/gir/Makefile.am?id=b89a110fdd9f6a0c4c0291a6016cb154bb715b0a