[oe] [RFC] unpackaged files

J. L. vwyodapink at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 19:19:15 UTC 2010

2010/10/11 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com>:
> 2010/10/11 J. L. <vwyodapink at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Roman I Khimov <khimov at altell.ru> wrote:
>>> В сообщении от Понедельник 11 октября 2010 15:51:05 автор Frans Meulenbroeks
>>>
>>> Shouldn't such files be removed with do_install_append()?
>
> rethinking this (after my previous mail) would we get an issue because
> some files are staged but not packaged (which is generally not the
> case, but I am thinking about gcc-cross and friends)
>>
>> my uneducated suggestion would be dont remove them and do something
>> like Frans suggests, reason being I am noticing packages that do not
>> build with files that you would expect especially ones with -dev tags.
>> or even some not being made like libgcc-dev. But like one off the top
>> of my head would be if you install libpcap and libcap-dev you still do
>> not get a pcap.h to use if you compile something on the machine your
>> built those packages into the image of.
>>

> it is not my proposal to make this a real installable package. I just
> want a mechanism that you can use to tell that a file while being
> there is on purpose not packaged
> Wrt your example: I'd say if pcap.h comes from libcpcap, it should
> probably go into libpcap-dev (or maybe libcap-dev).
>
> Frans

Ahh ok sorry miss understood what you wanted. I did run into another
one where I installed the built mysql5 and mysql5-dev  and it does not
provide a mysql.h on the machine, also lots of .dev packages rely on
libgcc-dev but there is not an installable version of libgcc-dev. So
if you install a -dev after you have the image running you get
complaints about no libgcc-dev on the machine. So if I run into things
like that I would need to go to that package and figure out why and
how to get the .h's I need in the .dev and or figure out how to make
the missing -dev ?

Thanks