[oe] do we need patch-native ?

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:12:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

I had to do a build on OpenSuse 11.3 today, and it failed building
quilt-native (0.46-r2)

Root cause is that quilt configure tries to find whether patch is
installed and has a version > 2.4
It does so by calling patch --version and extract the version string from it.

The patch from 11.3 identifies itself as:
GNU patch 2.6.1.81-5b68
However the quilt configure script expected to find output like:
patch 2.6 (which is what I get on my ubuntu 10.4 version).

I see several possible options to fix this:
- make a package patch-native, so we can use our own patch
- patch quilt so its configure can deal with both patch version strings

Problem with the latter is that I have no idea how many other recipes
will have a similar test (and definitely they are not all triggered by
the images I regularly build.
Therefore I think I have a preference to introduce patch-native, but I
would like to hear how you guys & gals think about this, and whether
you see other options.

Best regards, Frans