[oe] Question about OVERRIDES precedence

Maupin, Chase chase.maupin at ti.com
Wed Oct 13 20:29:34 UTC 2010

All,

I have been looking into the OVERRIDES setting and it appears to me that the OVERRIDES are being handled in least specific to most specific order.  Meaning that if I have an override for a particular machine set that it has a lower priority than the override for a distro.

My OVERRIDES variable is actually set to evaluate:
# OVERRIDES=local:${MACHINE}:${DISTRO}:${TARGET_OS}:${TARGET_ARCH}:build-${BUILD_OS}:fail-fast:pn-${PN}:${FEED_ARCH}:${SOC_FAMILY}:libc-glibc${OVERRIDE_THUMB}${OVERRIDE_INTERWORK}

Which translates in my build to:
OVERRIDES="local:am37x-evm:angstrom:linux-gnueabi:arm:build-linux:fail-fast:pn-task-arago-toolchain-tisdk-multimedia-host:armv7a:omap3:libc-glibc:thumb-interwork"

I would expect that if I set an override for am37x-evm that this MACHINE specific override should trump the DISTRO specific override or the SOC_FAMILY override.

Likewise I would expect that the local override would have the highest precedence because I am trying to override something specifically for my local copy and that the "thumb-interwork" override would have the lowest precedence.

Is my expectation incorrect?

If so then can we just reverse the list of overrides in the update_data method of <bitbake>/lib/bb/data.py, around line 500 in my version.  My bitbake is on version 1.10.  In the master this would be in the finalize function of the DataSmart class.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin
Software Applications