[oe] RFC: remove old kernels

Marco Cavallini koansoftware at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 09:05:37 UTC 2010

Marcin Juszkiewicz ha scritto, Il 15/10/2010 10:39:
> Hi
>
> recipes/linux/ contains 235 recipes. I would like to propose cleaning:
>
> 1. drop 2.4 kernels - if someone still needs them then .oz354x and .stable
>    branches have them.

I agree.

> 2. Drop kernels older then 2.6.20 - it was over 3 years ago so if someone uses
>    older one then probably also uses 3 years old OE.
>
> This may affect (checked recipes):
>
> - ep93xx - machines with this cpu are mainline supported, patches from ts72xx
>   and sim.one works
> - chumby
> - compulab-pxa270
> - devkitidp-pxa255
> - fsg3
> - gumstix
> - amsdelta
> - bd-neon
> - colinux
> - epia
> - geodelx
> - h1940
> - h6300
> - ks8695
> - magicbox
> - mtx-3
> - neuros
> - sun4cdm
> - tornado-omap2
> - wrap-geode
> - x86
> - acern30
> - logicpd-pxa270
> - mainstone
> - mx21ads
> - netbook-pro
> - triton
> - blueangel
> - universal
>
> Some of those machines are not maintained anymore, many of them should work
> with current mainline kernels. If someone cares about anything on a list -
> raise your hand.

IMHO many of those machines are still a useful starting point for a lot
of people.
Moreover lots of PXA2x0 based board are unfortunately still using them.

I vote to keep them a bit longer.

Cordiali Saluti / Kindest Regards / mit freundlichen Grüssen
--
Marco Cavallini | KOAN sas | Bergamo - Italia
 embedded and real-time software engineering