[oe] do we need patch-native ?

Alexander Stohr Alexander.Stohr at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 15:22:00 UTC 2010

Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> I had to do a build on OpenSuse 11.3 today, and it failed building
> quilt-native (0.46-r2)
> Root cause is that quilt configure tries to find whether patch is
> installed and has a version > 2.4

that whole setup and the files you mentioned for a certain reason
are looking quite familiar to me.

probably you will soon see things like this one for patchutils as well:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2010-October/025087.html

variants of this line of code might help in the topic pretty generically:

  aclocal --version | head -n 1 | sed -e "s/^.*[^[:digit:]\.]//g"

this should give you the tail of the first version line starting with the first character qualifying as a digit. the result might be e.g. "1.10.1".

in fact i would rather prefer external tools that really only provide their version number on a single line by using a specific option and a full lengthy copyright/info notice when using some other option - just thinking about what makes the life of script coder much simpler.

as seen in other notes for autoconf scripts its often resolved as two variants where the $1 value determines if $2 or $3 is the desired result.
basically i would prefer having patch-native as this will provide a very well known reproducible environment dropping all such nasties and even covering the case where there is no such tool present at all. it might be a slight effort to maintain such a recipe but it will definitely kill the cross over amount of combination resulting from some 200 possible build platforms and some 50..500 recipes making use of the --version option of whatever tool is in question.

regards, Alex.