[oe] added task nr to NOTE and error messages

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 07:55:33 UTC 2010

When doing a build with some parallellism in it, it is not always
directly obvious what task generated a certain message.

An example from a recent log:

NOTE: Running task 742 of 995 (ID: 170,
/home/hudson/jobs/FM_TEST/workspace/openembedded/recipes/gcc/gcc-cross_4.4.4.bb,
do_compile)
NOTE: package gcc-cross-4.4.4-r6.0: task do_compile: Started
NOTE: the following files were installed but not shipped in any package:
NOTE:   /etc/localtime
NOTE:   /etc/ld.so.conf
NOTE: Multiple libraries (libnss_hesiod.so.2, libnss_nisplus.so.2,
libnss_nis.so.2) found, but LEAD_SONAME 'libc.so' doesn't match any of
them
NOTE: Couldn't find shared library provider for libgcc_s.so.1

Obivously the notes are not from the gcc-cross do_compile just above it.

Suggestion is to add the task number to the NOTE.

e.g.
NOTE (task 730):

or, if more compactness is desired:
NOTE (730)
or even
NOTE_730

Guess the same would apply to error messages etc.

I guess this is not too difficult, but my knowledge of the system and
python is not good enough to come up with a patch.

Frans

PS: it might also be nice to have a mechanism to throttle the notes
(or supporess some or all of them).
When doing a build of the testing branch I am not really interested in
task started/succeeded messages, not creating empty archive, packaged
contents of ... etc etc)
It would be nice if there was a way to (selectively?) suppress these.
(btw:  i know some of these are from oe, and others are from bb)