[oe] [RFC] Packaged contents of $pkg_dir into $pkg_file

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Sun Oct 17 03:24:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks <
fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure how others feel about it, but I feel our build logs tend to
> become more and more verbose, making it harder (e.g. in a testing-next
> build) to spot anomalies
>
> One of the things contributing to the verbosity are lines like:
> Packaged contents of module-init-tools-cross into
>
> /home/hudson/jobs/FM_TEST/workspace/tmp/deploy/ipk/armv5te/module-init-tools-cross_3.2.2-r5_armv5te.ipk
>
> These lines are generated by the last line of:
>
> /recipes/stage-manager/files/stage-manager-ipkg-build
>
> which reads:
>
> Packaged contents of $pkg_dir into $pkg_file
>
> Questions/discussion points:
> - do you feel it is useful to be able to suppress these messages
>
> If so how should this be done?
> - by fully removing them (quite a drastic solution)
> - by having it controlled by an environment variable
>
> And in the latter case: what should be the default behaviour and how
> should the variable be named?

Aside: in this *particular* case, what's happening is the output is ..
indirect.  The python task runs os.system() or something, which dumps to
stdout directly.  We *must* fix bitbake to capture *all* standard stdout
usage from python tasks and not display it directly, if it doesn't do that
already in master (note: direct usage of bb.msg functions wouldn't be
included in that).  This would make it more consistent with shell functions,
and would also ensure that the ncurses UI for bitbake doesn't get completely
hosed by the unexpected stdout output.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com