[oe] [RFC] do we really need all OVERRIDES in FILESPATH?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 21:15:40 UTC 2010

Currently
bitbake -e -b xserver-xorg-conf_0.1.bb | grep ^FILESPATH= | sed "s/:/\n/g" | wc -l
shows 65 directories where file:// from SRC_URI can be found.

base_do_unpack is looking for first directory where requested file
exists. Most files are IMHO found in FILESPATHPKG PN, files or P
(without an override used)

Number of directories tried before
PN:    38
files: 51
P:     25

I see many recipes really using that MACHINE or DISTRO is in FILESPATH,
few users of TARGET_ARCH and quick find/grep doesn't show any users of
other OVERRIDES in FILESPATH.

BTW: ie initscripts have initscripts/files/arm/alignment.sh but that's only
alignment.sh and SRC_URI_append_arm = " file://alignment.sh" would work
ok even without arm in FILESPATH.

What about using only ${TARGET_ARCH}:${DISTRO}:${MACHINE} in FILESPATH
instead all OVERRIDES?

And if there is need to use some special OVERRIDE then recipe can use
SRC_URI_append_override.

Number of directories tried before
PN:    11
files: 15
P:      7
end:   20

If I'm overlooking other usages of FILESPATH or if this I/O saving is
not worth it, let me know.

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com