[oe] [RFC] turning conf/machine into a set of bblayers

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 21 09:59:42 UTC 2010

On 21-10-10 11:52, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On 21/10/2010 10:33, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recipes/linux is a mess and recipes/u-boot is as well. It would be a
>> nice topic for OEDEM to see if we discuss switching to a poky BSP model.
>> It would boil down to:
>>
>> 1 base bblayer with shared files:
>> * conf/machine/include
>> * recipes/linux/*.inc
>>
>> 1 bblayer per machine or SOC_FAMILY containing:
>> * machine.conf
>> * first and second stage bootloaders
>> * kernel
>>
>> So, what are peoples thoughts on this? I haven't thought this through
>> myself, so feel free to point out any show stoppers.
>> I do not want this to turn into a "splitting the metadata" discussion,
>> while I'm all for that, it really is a seperate effort and discussion.
>> But any bblayer style split would benefit from OE being a collection of
>> git submodules instead of a monolithic tree[1].
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Koen
>>
>> [1] Provided git submodules stop sucking so hard in future git versions
> This is something I have advocated before but never formally presented a
> RFC to OEDEM.
>
> With this model it quickly becomes clear which machines have support.
>
> The only problem comes with BLAH_machine type overides. Are they done as
> amend.inc (or whatever the current method is) in overlay or are they
> allowed into main repo. I think amend.inc in this case is probably the
> way to go.

The downside of amend.inc is the de-sync when the recipe gets updated,
but not the overlay. You run the risk of using a version without the
overrides that way.
Maybe some fancy scripts, (pre-)commit hooks or just old fanishioned
review on the ml could solve those type of issues.

How do file overrides like
recipes/netbase/netbase/beagleboard/interfaces get handled in a
bblayer/amend.inc world?

regards,

Koen