[oe] [RFC] turning conf/machine into a set of bblayers

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 10:17:52 UTC 2010

Some initial thoughts:

What about out-of-tree kernel modules?
No idea right away whether we have many.
I can imagine we want to keep these in one place (I doubt if they are
very machine specific).

putting the recipes in the overlay creates some duplication (and hence
potentially double maintenance).
Probably for kernel this is less of an issue as most machines seem to
have their own kernel.

There is however the case that machines like to share the same kernel.
E.g. sheevaplug/openrd client/openrd base/openrd ultimate (and perhaps
pogoplug and dockstar). These are all based upon the same soc.

The thing I do like less about the amend.inc proposal is that unless
we are very careful and strict with the contents of the linux dir we
still end up with quite some recipes in there.
(you probably end up with a base recipe for every git tree; and maybe
even for different tags in it). this is probably less desirable.

And wrt u-boot there seems to be some more commonality (although the
u-boot_git recipe is quite big).

Maybe someone could craft a usage table (don't have time to do that
right now myself).

More later....

Have fun! Frans