[oe] patchwork cleanup call

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:01:02 UTC 2010

2010/10/22 Andreas Oberritter <obi at opendreambox.org>:
> Hello Frans, hello all,
>
> you're describing the situation very well. I'd like to add some comments
> from the perspective of a new contributor.
>
> On 10/22/2010 09:32 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>> As far as I see it there are two often occurring situations:
>>
>> - a patch is submitted for review and gets zero feedback. I have quite
>> a few of these in patchwork. I once proposed that if a patch does not
>> get neg feedback in two weeks or so it could be pushed anyway. While
>> this got some positive response it was never really made a policy. But
>> I must say I'm becoming more and more inclined to push them anyway.
>>
>> - a patch is submitted by someone without commit access but no one
>> picks up the patch.
>
> Most of my patches got zero feedback. During the last 3-4 weeks, 20 of
> my patches were committed, 10 patches are still waiting in patchwork for
> a definitive ack or nack or for requests for changes. Of these 10
> patches, only 3 got (negative?) feedback:
>
> http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/3241/
> -> Nack, but no further reply received to my question. IMO, either my
> patch is OK or kernel.bbclass is wrong. One must be fixed, but which one
> and why?
>
> http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/3297/
> -> Changes requested. Could be resolved by a patch to
> lib_package.bbclass, but there were no further comments about how likely
> such a change would be accepted.
>
> http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/3338/
> -> Question about license raised, unknown state. If someone would like
> to look at the source, at least the header files and compat.c don't
> include license statements and compat.c looks like code which may be
> copied from a library. I guess this one could be committed with GPLv2
> and still be updated later if anyone cares enough and is sure about it.
>
> Of the 20 committed patches, only few received feedback either.
>
> I am happy whenever I see a new patch committed, but for me, as a new
> contributor, it seems impossible to predict a patch's fate until it
> finally gets merged.
>
> Btw., unfortunately, I fear that zero feedback is not limited to
> patches, but also happens to apply to questions regarding the
> preparation of patches, e.g.:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/38203
>
> (2nd part, which I am working around now by (ab?)using ASSUME_PROVIDED)
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/38591
>
> I can understand that this happens, because the list has so much
> traffic. If I don't receive a reply to a mail within 24 hours, then I
> don't expect to get a reply at all, be it a patch or a question. Still,
> I don't know in which frequency I should ping my patches (or questions,
> if still important to me), without spamming or annoying the list.
>
>> In either case if patches just get archived without being looked at,
>> it'll probably have an adverse effects.
>> The person without commit access will probably stop submitting
> [...]

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the feedback, and don't hesitate to bother people if you do
not get a reply.

To give some answers to your questions:
Wrt LICENSE: this will (quite likely) be discussed at the OE dev
meeting (OEDEM) next week fri/sat.

Wrt names: maybe we should indeed have a list somewhere. No idea if
people would want that., will try to raise it next week too.

As far as the patches concerns: I don't really feel too comfortable
when it comes to core .bbclass files; I'm not really a python wiz, so
I can't comment on them and as they influence the whole build system
I'm not going to push them without acks.

Your new cddb related patches, I've peeked into and pushed them.
Didn't really give feedback that I did. Then again if it got pushed
without comments, someone must have felt it was ok.

What also helps (and is a good source for answers) is irc.
If you join the #oe chatroom in irc there is often someone around who
can help you or point you in the right direction. Feel free to join us
over there.
(that also would help resolving names, if you've asked about me
definitely someone would have responded eFfeM. (which is actually
constructed from my initials but FM was already taken)

Best regards & thanks for your contributions! They are really valued
and (at least IMHO) of very good quality.

Frans