[oe] [RFC] using kernel.bbclass rename hook for external modules as well

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 07:46:36 UTC 2010

2010/10/22 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> Currently kernel.bbclass splits and renames modules into
> kernel-module-<foo>, but module.bbclass doesn't. What's your opinion on
> making modules.bbclass follow the same logic for consistency?
> To make upgrade paths work the 'kernel-modules' metapackage would be
> ${PN} for external modules.

The idea looks good to be, but can you explain the last sentence?
I would expect the recipes that use these modules get changed too and
with a PR bump they will drag in the new module with the new name, and
not too much additional work needed.
What I am missing?

BTW did a quick grep for "inherit module" (which also matches
module-base), matches 90 recipes (some of which are probably (nearly)
outdated as they are mainline; eg. pvrusb2)
And of course there are some recipes with older versions that are
probably not too interesting to keep)

Frans