[oe] Python.h LONG_BIT definition error on 64 bit build machine

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:57:52 UTC 2010

I'm working on a recipe for a new version of hplip (it depends on
python).  It builds just fine on my 32 bit Ubuntu development machine,
but when I attempt the build on my 64 bit Ubuntu machines the build
fails with the following error:

In file included from
/home/steve/source/sakoman-oe/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/include/python2.6/Python.h:58,
                 from io/mudext/hpmudext.c:27:
/home/steve/source/sakoman-oe/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/include/python2.6/pyport.h:685:2:
error: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for platform (bad
gcc/glibc config?)."

I seem to recall seeing this error in the distant past.

Is this a known issue with python on 64 bit machines?

Any advice?

Steve