[oe] Poky 4.0 and Yocto 0.9 released

Tian, Kevin kevin.tian at intel.com
Thu Oct 28 02:16:31 UTC 2010

>From: AJ ONeal
>Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:26 AM
>
>From the website it sounds like Yocto is a cross between OpenEmbedded and
>Ubuntu?

there's nothing to do with Ubuntu, which is mentioned just as one supported host
system to run Yocto.

>It's used to build distributions in the same way that OpenEmbedded is.
>Has 6-month release cycle, including binaries, like Ubuntu.
>
>Is that correct?
>

>What's the difference between Poky and Yocto then?

In a nutshell, Yocto Project is the umbrella project and Poky is the build system utilized by
the Yocto Project.

See the FAQ:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ

Q: Why not just call this project Poky? What has changed between Poky and the Yocto Project?

A: The Yocto Project is an umbrella project, similar to freedesktop.org. Accordingly, it includes a number of projects and resources specifically intended for facilitating development with Linux on embedded devices, and it is an appropriate place for larger organizations to collaborate on the development of build infrastructure for embedded Linux. Poky is indeed the largest part of the Yocto Project, and Poky will continue as an independent, open source project developing the build system used by the Yocto Project, as well as by other open source projects.

Thanks
Kevin