[oe] OEDEM 2010: [RFC] useful commit message

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 29 09:02:49 UTC 2010

Dear OE folks,

could you please discuss the following proposal.

I would very much like more elaborate commit messages. This is in my
opinion already demanded by the commit policy [1], but often patch
submitters, especially those not sending changes to review to the list,
since they have direct access to the repository, fail to adhere to the
policy.

The reason is, quite often I do not understand why a change was
necessary. It would very much help me, if at least the error message was
pasted to be able to compare with one’s own error messages and what
distribution and machine was used to test the recipe.

I added an item to the OEDEM wiki page too [2].

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Commit_Policy
[2] http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php?title=Oedem%2F2010&diff=2961&oldid=2954