[oe] Fwd: testing branch 2010-08-30

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 21:16:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On 31-08-10 13:05, Cliff Brake wrote:
>> sending again as it appears the last email did not make it ...

Thanks for the ideas, and we need to look into using Tinderbox more.
One thing I don't want to loose is the following:

1) a simple table where users can quickly get an idea of what should
build.  It would take some work to get this extracted from the noise
in Tinderbox, though not impossible

2) I'm afraid if we don't have a somewhat manual process with a known
test cycle, pretty soon people will just drop off and quit running
test cycles, especially if there is no easy visibility of results
(speaking to myself first).  How do we keep from getting lazy as
testing is generally not a lot of fun?

3) it will still be some manual work to maintain the "testing" branch
that is buildable for most tested platforms.

To me the biggest problem is actually getting a significant number of
people running test builds, and summarizing these results in a easy
form.  Everything else is secondary at this point.  Going forward, I
would like to automate where we can using tinderbox, etc.

Thanks,
Cliff