[oe] SOC_FAMILY broken

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 21:22:41 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Root cause: if SOC_FAMILY is not set (awhich is the case for most
> MACHINEs  and all distro's except angstrom) the test in base.bbclass

Good point, but I never understood SOC_FAMILY. From an old email:

"SOC_FAMILY is defining a family of processors and the features that processor
has.  Whereas MACHINE_CLASS is defining a type of device and its features which
can use different processors."

I think the first sentence is contradicting itself.

A "family of processors" vs. "features that processor had". This can
be fully orthogonal (worst case),
so the definition of the variable is crap. I wonder, has it proven
more useful than cumbersome?

If it truly has a clear function in OpenEmbedded that can apply to all
processors, can someone explain what the variable should be set to?

Regards,
--
Leon