[oe] autotools issues (MKINSTALLDIRS, -s_

Jens Seidel jensseidel at users.sf.net
Sat Sep 4 14:11:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

Chris, please don't top post. How the hell should I reply to it? Read an
arbitrary mailing list netiquette guide ...

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 08:46:39PM -0700, Chris Larson wrote:
> I noticed a long time ago that a certain error from the autoreconf is a sign
> that your po/ makefiles are from old gettext, and will end up seeing the
> mkinstalldirs failure.  See http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/1004/.
> Haven't had a chance to do any further investigation on it since then,
> however.

Your patch just refers to the warning
"WARNING:  po/Makefile.in seems to ignore the .*dir setting"

Maybe it causes make to install files into wrong directories but I had never
problems with this. The error from this thread was a real error because of
an incompatibility of special versions of gettext and automake. As we both
observed using a newer gettext version (by just bumping the minimal
gettext version in configure.ac, in general not by upgrading gettext) helps.

I try in general to use an as old version of gettext as possible, to be
compatible with older hosts. The warning you are referring to was always
ignored by me :-))

Jens