[oe] Howto create a bitbake recipe

Vitus Jensen vjensen at gmx.de
Thu Sep 16 11:22:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> 2010/9/16 Vitus Jensen <vjensen at gmx.de>:

>>> And you probably searched recipes/ before writing your own?  This is my
>>> main source of informationen.

>>> I don't think you should not use method overrides in the example (the wiki
>>> list those overrides as things to avoid), just use the simpliest form of a
>>> recipe there and refer to the OE usermanual from that page for additional
>>> features, that URL:
>>> http://docs.openembedded.org/usermanual/usermanual.html#chapter_recipes
>>>
>>> =====
>>> DESCRIPTION = ""
>>> HOMEPAGE = ""
>>> LICENSE = ""
>>> DEPENDS = ""
>>> PR = "r0"  # Package Revision, update this whenever you change the recipe.
>>>
>>> SRC_URI = " http://server/${PN}-${PV}.tar.bz2 \
>>>         file://fix-crosscompile.patch \
>>>         "
>>> SRC_URI[md5sum] = ""
>>> SRC_URI[sha256sum] = ""
>>> =====
>>>
>>> More isn't needed (some may argue about PR) and writing more may actually
>>> harm.
>>
>> Sorry, there was an important line missing:
>>
>> inherit cmake
>> -or-
>> inherit autotools
>> -or-
>> inherit your-build-system
>>

> or provide your own do_compile, do_install if it is not
> cmake/autotools/qmake/whatever

OK, you are right.  I missed the fact that this was an example for totally
self-contained recipe (it's like the gumstix example).  However this isn't
the usual case and 'for dummies' should IMHO document the most common case
in a way it would be acceptable to this list.

Given the amount of variations found in the repository I would refer
interested persons to read the source and provide a link to the user
manual.  The manual is actually quite good :-)

Vitus

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Universe (current)
pgp public key available from keyservers