[oe] Fwd: FA526 / CNS2132 / TS-7500 build configuration

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 04:39:11 UTC 2010

On (19/09/10 19:18), R.T. McGee wrote:
> The Faraday FA526 core is used in ARM processors like the Semi STR8132
> / Cavium CNS2132 which is in my Technologic Systems TS-7500 board in
> addition to some NAS boxes out there. From what I have read, it
> basically resembles a ARM920T but has NO thumb interworking support
> which makes it not fully EABI compliant (
> http://www.mail-archive.com/openocd-development@lists.berlios.de/msg05856.html
> ). I have build a few tool chains manually that produce working code
> using a configuration meant for a OABI style armv4 which makes sense
> since it uses NO thumb instructions, but I am not sure this is
> optimal.

eabi is now supported on armv4 architecture and we have OE internal
toolchain also support it from gcc 4.4.x onwards.

> What is the best way to move forward to setup a OpenEmbedded
> distro/machine configuration for something like the TS-7500 or a
> general FA526 configuration?

look at any armv4 machines we have in OE e.g. collie and distros like
minimal or angstrom

DISTRO=minimal MACHINE=collie bitbake minimal-image

I guess, one option is setup OABI ARMv4
> style setup but this was removed from things like angstrom a while
> ago. Switching to OABI just to get rid of thumb seems a little silly.
>
> It would be nice to figure out a way to use EABI ARMv4T toolkit but
> pass flags like -mapcs-32 -mno-thumb-interwork (just a guess) to GCC
> to insure no thumb instructions (other weird things are discussed in
> http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort#Otherscenarios ).  The linker
> option -fix-v4bx looks promising for the linker also. A lot of things
> are possible solutions, but whats the cleanest way to work it into
> OpenEmbedded's build system?

its already functional in OE.

> Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

Thx
-Khem