[oe] libatasmart_0.13.bb: `No package 'libudev' found` and `./strpool: ./strpool: cannot execute binary file`

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 23 11:30:44 UTC 2010

Dear OE folks,

I am trying to build `libatasmart_0.13.bb`.

Using Minimal as distribution `do_configure()` fails, because package
config for libudev is not found.

        […]
        | checking for arm-oe-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config... no
        | checking for pkg-config... /oe/build-minimal-eglibc/minimal-dev/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/pkg-config
        | configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
        | checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
        | checking for LIBUDEV... configure: error: Package requirements (libudev) were not met:
        |
        | No package 'libudev' found
        |
        | Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
        | installed software in a non-standard prefix.
        |
        | Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBUDEV_CFLAGS
        | and LIBUDEV_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
        | See the pkg-config man page for more details.
        |
        | ERROR: Function do_configure failed
        NOTE: package libatasmart-0.13-r1: task do_configure: Failed
        […]

`find minimal-dev/ -name *libudev*` did not return anything useful.
Steffen added `udev` to `DEPENDS` [1] but that does not seem to help.
(Although I do not know if he saw the same error as I do, because it is
not mentioned in the commit message.)

Using Ȧngström 2008.1 this error was not met though. But `do_compile()`
fails with `./strpool: cannot execute binary file`.

        Log data follows:
        | NOTE: make
        |   CC     strpool.o
        |   CCLD   strpool
        | ./strpool atasmart.c atasmart.strpool.c
        | ./strpool: ./strpool: cannot execute binary file
        | make: *** [atasmart.strpool.c] Error 126
        | FATAL: oe_runmake failed
        | ERROR: Function do_compile failed
        NOTE: package libatasmart-0.13-r1: task do_compile: Failed

But as far as I understand the recipe takes care of that by compiling
`strpool` for the build host [2].

        do_compile_prepend() {
        	rm strpool -f
        	${BUILD_CC} -o strpool strpool.c