[oe] Question about automake licensing in recipe

Maupin, Chase chase.maupin at ti.com
Thu Sep 23 20:14:09 UTC 2010

All,

I was digging around in the automake sources and I noticed that there is a top-level COPYING file that says automake is licensed under GPLv2.  However, in the lib directory there is another COPYING file that says GPLv3.  I was trying to figure out what LICENSE should be set to for automake when the sources contain both GPLv2 and GPLv3 code.  Should it be set to something like GPLv2/GPLv3?  I've read that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible (http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-incompatible_licenses) so can a recipe even be marked as being both GPLv2 and GPLv3?

Any input would be appreciated here.

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin
Software Applications