[oe] nano RRECOMMENDS ncurses-terminfo

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 22:02:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 04:22:10PM -0400, Michael Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since 37df6011, nano recommends ncurses-terminfo.
>
> +# actually RDEPENDS, but ncurses-terminfo is only in ncurses-5.7, so
> RRECOMMENDS for now
> +RRECOMMENDS_${PN} = "ncurses-terminfo"
>
> ncurses-terminfo exists in 5.4: it contains 2.4 MB of terminfo data
> files that is just bloat for most people. (Then again, you could say
> nano is also just bloat. :) The base ncurses-5.4 package includes some
> common terminfo files in /etc/terminfo.
>
> So for me, with ncurses 5.4, nano shouldn't depend on or recommend
> ncurses-terminfo - it just bloats up the image.
>
> Is there something special in ncurses-terminfo 5.7 that nano needs?

There wasn't any common /etc/terminfo in base ncurses-5.7 package and I
guess it's still isn't. So nano refused to start at all (like other apps
where I added this RRECOMMENDS after we switched to 5.7 and apps started
to fail.

If it's so big problem then please improve ncurses-5.7 recipe to include
most common terminfos and then feel free to drop those RRECOMMENDS I've
added. Or just move to newer ncurses (ie because of problems with newer
distributions on buildhost, also discussed here).

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com