[oe] packages

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 06:59:32 UTC 2010

2010/9/28 Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>:
> On (26/08/10 10:36), C Michael Sundius wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand how package feeds work. From the documentation it
>> seems
>> that you can use a package feed to install prebuilt packages onto a running
>> taget.
>> but what I'd like to do is to have OE look to see if a pre built package
>> exists before it
>> goes and builds one. Sort of like a packaged staging, but distributed, so
>> anyone could
>> pick up the package it needs from a single server, rather than having to
>> build it first
>
> hmm interesting. I dont think anything like that exist in OE although it
> seems interesting

what about running opkg natively, retrieve index, then check if the
package is there and if not bitbake the recipe.

rough skets for a oneliner (untested)
opkg update; opkg whatprovides -A mypackage >/dev/null 2>&1 || bitbake
mypackage

if you want to fetch from remote it becomes a liitle bit more complex.

Note though that what you get from the external feed might be
different from what you get when you build things yourself as there
are sometimes dependencies on what has been build before.
(e.g. a configure enabling additional functionality because it finds
libXYZ because it happened to be build before, but is not listed as
explicit dependency)

frans