[oe] generate a named kernel in ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE}

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 17:59:17 UTC 2010

2010/9/28 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org>:

> Frans,
>
> May I suggest you to look at the existing multi-kernel.inc implementation[1]
> for building multiple versions of the same kernel with slightly different
> defconfigs and slightly different resulting names in the deploy. I use it in
> Arago[2][3] for linux-davinci machines, while Koen uses it in OE with
> linux-omap-psp for beagleboard[4][5]...
>
> [1] http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/linux/multi-kernel.inc
> [2] http://arago-project.org/git/?p=arago.git;a=blob;f=recipes/linux/linux-davinci-staging_git.bb;hb=HEAD
> [3] http://arago-project.org/git/?p=arago.git;a=tree;f=recipes/linux/linux-davinci-staging/dm355-evm;hb=HEAD
> [4] http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/linux/linux-omap-psp_2.6.32.bb
> [5] http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/linux/linux-omap-psp-2.6.32/beagleboard
>
> --
> Denys

Denys, thanks for the pointers.
I did peek into multi-kernel (although I didn't test it).
Apparently I missed the fact that it copies the generated images to
the deploy dir, but your message triggered me to reread the file and I
now found that it *does* copy to deploy.
I'll give multikernel a try tomorrow or so.

Thanks again, Frans.

PS: what caused the misinterpretation at my side was the comment in
the beginning that said:
# Note that this include will NOT stage anything nor create packages
Guess I interpreted this as does not put anything in deploy and did
not search for evidence.
Maybe the comment could be made slightly more explicit that the image
*is* put in deploy.