[oe] [RFC] kernel NOTE messages fix

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Tue Sep 28 20:06:30 UTC 2010

Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

[snip]
> 2) add them to kernel-dev. That way the NOTE disappears. However this
> does increase the kernel-dev package size with 90 MB or so.
> Technically it would allow building out-of-kernel modules on the
> target. Then again currently this is not possible and I have never
> heard complaints about it (actually for embedded systems it is often
> not a good plan to build on the target, although with current high end
> systems this becomes more feasible).

Did you try implementing this?  Without a few other changes (that I
couldn't get 100% right) there's problems with the scripts/ and
arch/$ARCH/boot/ tools being the wrong binary format.  Which is a shame
as we could provide a kernel-src package with that stuff fixed.

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation