[oe] Yocto project video

Hatle, Mark mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Apr 7 17:52:09 UTC 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 10:44 AM, "Paul Menzel" <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 06.04.2011, 11:12 -0700 schrieb Philip Balister:
>> For your amusement:
>>
>> http://www.yoctoproject.org/
>>
>> Please note, the audience is non-technical people, not us :) We already
>> know how to build embedded systems.
>>
>> I thought the video did a good job of presenting the larger goals of the
>> Yocto Project.
>
> Yes, I like this video. Thank you for sharing it.
>
> I did not understand the one thing though on how it is easy to choose a
> commercial Linux distribution? Which one do they mean and can they
> handle BitBake recipes? Or what did they mean?

"they" want a clear transition from a build system and recipe set to a commercially supported Eco system of OSVs.

They being semiconductor manufacturers, OSVs, product integrators, etc.... Historically the problem has been that someone will start a prototype with a semiconductor (or open source) system.. They then decide to build a device and look for commercial support... At which point they generally have to start over once they choose their support partner.

With Yocto, if you start with the open source version and layers, you can then have a clear known path to a commercial service contract with a more clear expectation of what can or can not be reused.

That's the theory, we hope we can make it a reality.