[oe] python-numpy prone to use host libraries

Patrik Dahlström (student) patda293 at student.liu.se
Sun Apr 10 19:45:44 UTC 2011

I have been resolving issues regarding python-numpy this whole day and I would
like to share my findings. python-numpy is a package required by opencv_2.2,
which is a dependency of gst-plugins-bad making it essential to quite a lot of
images.

First of all, python-numpy requires a fortran compiler and gcc-4.5 specifically
disables the fortran language per default. From gcc-4.5.inc

# Language Overrides
FORTRAN = ""

I am unsure what the best approach is, but I resolved this by changing to
FORTRAN = ",fortran"

Looking at the compile log of python-numpy there were several instances of the
following:

blas_info:
  libraries blas not found in
/home/bitbake/build/tmp_beagleboard/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib
  libraries blas not found in /usr/local/lib64
  libraries blas not found in /usr/local/lib
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['blas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib64']
    language = f77

  FOUND:
    libraries = ['blas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib64']
    define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]
    language = f77

It clearly tries to link against my host libraries and fails. My resort was
simply to remove my host libraries (not needed at the moment). However, there
are other ways to counter this problem.
Looking at the python-numpy sources, there is a file called site.cfg.example.
In it, there is descriptions on how to supply python-numpy with configuration
information about non-Python dependencies. It shouldn't be any problem
generating site.cfg files for relevant parts of the python-numpy source.
I am however uncertain on how to proceed with this and could use some
assistance.

--
MvH / with best regards
Patrik Dahlström

"Alla djur, utom människan, vet att livets huvudsakliga mening är att njuta av
det! --Samuel Butler

"Every animal, except man, knows that the fundamental meaning of life is to
enjoy it" --Samuel Butler