[oe] Upstreaming patches

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 12 07:32:46 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, den 12.04.2011, 09:29 +0930 schrieb Graham Gower:
> On 12 April 2011 09:16, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> > Saul Wold asked me about upstreaming some of the patches in OE. Apparently,
> > Intel has some people who can look at submitting some of our patches
> > upstream.

That is great. It is indeed very time consuming to find out the correct
place to send patches and register at the ticketing/bug tracking system
or – most of the time – subscribe to the corresponding mailing list.

> > The question is, what do we do about attribution? The problem is that is not
> > simple for many cases working out who created the patch. Rather than spend
> > time chasing through the revision history, it would be simpler to send the
> > patches upstream mentioning the source as derived from OE.
> >
> > My thoughts are no reasonable OE contributor would object to someone else
> > upstreaming their patches :), but I thought I should ask people what they
> > thought.
> >
> > Obviously, if there is a complex patch the situation is different, but I
> > suspect most of the easy patches do not fall into this category.
> >
> > Comments?

> Sounds good. I think omission of attribution if no original author can
> be identified is fine. Its more important that the work not be lost.

In my opinion at least a

        git log --follow recipe/path/to/patch/file.patch

should be tried. Additionally to make things maybe easier it could be
searched for patches with a patch header [1] and track their status.

> Please note that many patches submitted upstream have already been
> ignored by upstream.

Hopefully those patches have a patch header and the report can be
updated easily.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://openembedded.org/index.php/Push_patches_upstream