[oe] [RFC, PATCH] Add minver/maxver to patch.bbclass, update bluez

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:14:46 UTC 2011

2011/4/25 Tom Rini <tom_rini at mentor.com>

> Hey all,
>
> In digging at some other bluez problems, I found that at least
> 4.91 no longer needs the sbc-thumb patch.  But without moving it to the
> N versions of bluez4 we have or starting a new inc file for later bluez4
> versions, there wasn't a clean way to exclude the patch.  Until now.
> Borrowing the minrev/maxrev logic I added minver/maxver patch params
> and tested them lightly (the patch is applied on 4.89 and not on
> 4.91).  I'm cc'ing Koen here because patch #3 adds 4.91 and make it
> default for Angstrom, but all I've done myself is build testing.
> It should be safe, based on upstream changelog tho.
>
> First question should probably be: do we need 9 versions of bluez4? This is
not too much in line with the version policy the TSC once stipulated and
seems also different from the road oe-core and meta-oe are taking.

Also personally I'm not too keen on minrev/maxrev. It only makes things
again a little bit more complicated.
My preference would be to remove the patch from the .inc file and move to
the individual bb files

My 2 cents.

Frans

PS: two more cents: it seems somewhat odd that some distro's have a DP = 1
for more than one version of a recipe. While technically not wrong this
looks a little bit odd.
Also we seem to have two mechanisms to select a version for a distro. One is
the DP_distro mechanism the other one is the PREFERRED_VERSION_recipe in the
conf file
It seems to me one should be sufficient