[oe] Coordination for updating the XBMC recipe

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 15 19:35:05 UTC 2011

Dear OE folks and especially Koen,

Scott Davilla from the XBMC project asked me for build instructions for
XBMC for the PandaBoard.

Currently the XBMC recipe does not build for the PandaBoard

	COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "omap3|ti816x"

and 'virtual/egl' is not available for `MACHINE = "omap4430-panda"` in
oe.dev. Additionally the recipe is quite outdated.

This is a good occasion to update and clean up the current XBMC recipes.

I have some patches locally and I build test the latest commits for
`MACHINE = "beagleboard"` unfortunately still for oe.dev. On LinuxTag
you told me that you also had some patches but they conflicted with my
pushed commits.

So what is the best way to go forward? Did you already do some work on
this so that no wheel is reinvented? Please publish your patches
somewhere. That would be awesome.

Without knowing your answer I propose the following.

1. I try to clean up my patches and push them right to oe.dev? (I could
also publish a tree on Gitorious where I am already registered.)

Unfortunately I am only able to build test XBMC as I do not have a setup
BeagleBoard or PandaBoard currently and no time to set them up.

2. Not having used meta-oe/oe-core it would be great if you could port
those to meta-oe.

Then building XBMC should be a piece of cake for interested persons.

Thanks,

Paul