[oe] `PR = "r0"`: Add or not to add?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Wed Aug 31 12:36:37 UTC 2011

Op 31 aug. 2011, om 14:27 heeft Paul Eggleton het volgende geschreven:

> On Wednesday 31 August 2011 13:16:50 Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Op 31-08-11 13:55, Anders Darander schreef:
>>> To sad. It's a lot easier to remember to bump the PR, when PR actually is
>>> in the recipe. Thus, including PR=0 will often remove one issue with
>>> patches.
>>
>> That's what review is for, no?
>
> Surely you'd rather people have a better chance of getting it right the first
> time rather than you having to remind them for every patch? The almost
> insignificant burden of a PR = "r0" in each recipe seems worthwhile to me if it
> even helps a single person remember.

I've found that in .dev having PR = r0 in recipes is a bigger burden than not having them, especially when using shared .inc files like xorg. And there have been enough patches where people don't get PR bumps right even if there's a PR already in the recipe. So I'm unconvinced that it makes a real difference in "getting it right".

Even in the extreme case that every packaging patch is missing a PR bump that, for me,  is less annoying than issues I faced in .dev with PR = r0 sprinkled throughout the metadata.