[oe] fso-console-image problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 2 01:57:19 UTC 2011

I am trying to build the above image for htcdream (MACHINE=htcdream,
DISTRO=shr), but ran into two problems:

1. The bitbake almost finished when I got an error from
fso-console-image.bb that "cannot satisfy the following dependencies for
task-fso-compliance: connman-plugin-udhcp". OK, I edited the recipe for
the task-fso-compliance recipe and deactivated this plugin (I don't plan
to use any dhcp clients at all), then removed all traces of
"task-fso-compliance" to force a complete rebuild of this and restarted
bitbake. The build was successful this time.

2. I then proceeded to unpack the newly-created
"fso-console-image-htcdream.tar" (the phone rootfs) into my
newly-formatted smartcard (a single ext3 partition) and then did the
same with "modules-2.6.32-*.tar" (the kernel modules). I then used
fastboot and executed  "fastboot boot zImage-2.6.32-*.fastboot" to load
the new kernel and boot the smartphone. The phone boots up, but the only
thing I am seeing is a black-and-white stripes boot up screen (this is a
splash image embedded into the kernel image) and then nothing happens at
all.

I then tried passing various combinations of the kernel command line
parameters via fastboot:

console=tty1 no_console_suspend=1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=8
fbcon=rotate:1
console=tty0 no_console_suspend=1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=8
fbcon=rotate:1
console=tty1 no_console_suspend=1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=8
fbcon=rotate:1 nomodeset

etc etc etc, but to no avail - nothing apart from the damned
black-and-white stripes screen just sitting there!

As a last resort I then did a complete rebuild (wiped out build/tmp and
started from scratch with the modified recipe for task-fso-compliance to
exclude the connman-plugin-udhcp plugin) and when it finished I repeated
the same steps as above - nothing, exactly the same screen, NADA!

If I build shr-image all is well - the black-and-white-stripes bootup
screen is soon replaced by the SHR logo and then I get the SHR Desktop
after a while and I have a GUI. When I try to build "console-image"
(similar in many ways to fso-console-image - simple cli interface), I am
stuck also at the same step as above, but with a tiny difference - the
black-and-white stripes screen is replaced after a short period of time
with the OpenEmbedded logo with an empty progress bar and then I am
stuck at this stage - nothing happens after that at all.

What am I doing wrong or am I missing something obvious here? Help is
very much appreciated!