[oe] packages versioning

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Dec 9 20:14:14 UTC 2011

On 12/9/11 12:57 PM, Mr Dash Four wrote:

>> The creation of the filesystem image is driven by a number of
>> components. Basically it works like this:
> Thanks a lot for that - a good insight into the workings of oe and
> bitbake. I was hoping there would be an easier way to configure/change
> this to what I want, but I see that it is much more complex than I
> thought initially.

Ya, I created the spreadsheet due to the complexity.. :(  I like the flexibility
of the components that are used to construct the image packages, but there has
to be a more transparent way of doing this.

>> I have a spreadsheet (OpenOffice 17k, or Excel 81k) that lists all of
>> the current breakdowns.  If you are interested send me an email off list.
> I am interested (excel would be nice, thanks), but don't know your email
> address (all I get when responding to 'all' is the mailing list email
> address) - if you know mine, you could send me that and I'll have a look.

(Sent as a private email)

> I take it there isn't an easy way to see the hierarchy of all
> packages/dependencies involved in a particular image, is it (your
> spreadsheet may be good, but I suppose it is static and reflects just a
> current snapshot of a given packages/dependencies and that might change)?
>
> If all else fails, I might use ipkg on the target system to uninstall
> the packages I don't need and install new ones - not ideal by any means,
> but this is what I'll do only as a last resort, if all else fails.
> Thanks again for the thorough response!

As Gary suggested in another email, "hob" is the best approach right now.

You can certainly remove binary packages after the fact, but it's much nicer to
not have to.

--Mark